The Ward-Heitmann House is the oldest surviving structure in West Haven, Connecticut and may be the oldest within the original boundaries of New Haven Colony. Written records indicate that a house belonging to Ebenezer Clark of New Haven was on the site in 1725, although the house may have been built as early as 1684. When British troops landed at Savin Rock in July 1779, the house was already at least 50 years old. It has never been moved, has never had a fire and was a residence continually until 1991.
During its 300-year history, a number of families have lived in the house. Their life stories represent a microcosm of West Haven, Connecticut and New England history. Since buying the house from the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1995, the Ward-Heitmann House Museum Foundation has been restoring the house as a museum, Each room has been furnished to show the lives of the families at various times in the history of the house, from colonial through post-Civil War. In 2003, the Ward Heitmann House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2006, the Museum held a series of events to celebrate our 10th Anniversary.